Monday, November 18, 2013

Petal Pusher is Open!

I'm so excited to finally talk about the relaunching of my Esty store, Petal Pusher!  I originally opened shop in 2008 at the urging of my husband.  At first, I used it as a platform to sell my original artwork and botanical prints.  After several years, I realized that I just didn't have the time to work on it like I should, so for the last several years it has just been sitting there.



Over a year ago, my sister and I were lamenting how we both loved to cross stitch, but found it very difficult to find patterns that were the subject matter and style that we liked.  Even with all of the possibilities the Internet provides, we still could find very few things we liked.  So, we decided to just start making out own!



I think I'll just talk about my first two today.  If you know anyone who has ever cross stitched, then you've probably seen them make a sampler.  You know, that thing with the ABCs on it.  These are probably the most traditional thing you can make in cross stitch.  It all goes back to children learning to sew and their letters at the same time way back when.  Now, don't get me wrong, I love a good sampler.  However, it is really not my style to have cutesy houses, hearts, and birds in my house.  

So, I decided I would make myself some samplers based on things that I loved...art!  So far, I've made one based on the artwork of Henri Matisse and one on Claude Monet.  I love how they turned out!  



Matisse is full of the bold, bright colors of his paper cut-outs.  The organic seaweed looking shapes, curved lines and bold strokes of the letters really pop!  The font used is actually based on his handwriting...I love that!



When I think Monet, I think waterlilies.  The cool blues and greens swirling together make me happy.  I also got a chance to use a fun new thread on this one.  It is a type of thread that fades from one color to the next.  If you look closely at the letters in this one, you will see the subtlety of the colors changing...perfect for Impressionism.



I hope you enjoy my artist samplers.  If you cross stitch, please try one out...if you don't cross stitch yet, this is your perfect opportunity to start!  

Who is your favorite artist?  Maybe I'll make a sampler for them next!

No comments:

Post a Comment